Core FTP Lite Tutorial Using FTPS Connection
Core FTP Lite is a File Transfer Protocol program available for
If you know how to download and install programs, skip to the
section: Uploading files using Core FTP Lite.
Installing Core FTP Lite
- Follow this link to download
Core FTP Lite.
- Select "save this file to disk" option when download window
- Save this file to your desktop.
*** If you don’t have option to choose
where to save the download then the file will be located in the
computer’s downloads folder.
- The download will begin. You may need to click "Close" when the
download is complete.
- To install the program, double-click its icon located on the
desktop or in the download folder of your computer depending on the
location that it was downloaded to.
- Go through the installation process.
Configuring Core FTP Lite
*Please note: Some instructors may require you to download files from a course directory on the server. If your instructor
requires this, double click the <..> icon in the right side of the
window. Click the folder with the number that corresponds to your
course (ex. 90.230.031).
- Start the program by going to the Start > All Programs > Core FTP
Lite on the bottom left-hand corner of your computer screen.
*** If you are using Windows 8.1 then
go to the START screen by clicking the icon on the lower left part
of the screen. Now type Core FTP (when you start typing
a search box will open). Now right click on the
Core FTP LE search result and you can choose to pin it to your start
screen or the task bar. Going forward the program will be
available to start from your chosen location. Click the Core
FTP LE icon to start the program.
- The new Site Manager Dialog box will open asking to setup server
- Type the following information into the fields provided:
- Site Name: student_ftp
- Host / IP / URL: ceweb.uml.edu
- Username: your online username
- Password: your online course password
- Port as 990, Timeout as 60,
Retries as 2
- Under Connection: Select FTPS (SSL DIRECT)
(*we use FTP over SSL orTLS)
- Under SSL Options:
Check the boxes for SSL Listings, SSL Transfer and OpenSSL.
- Click "Connect". This should connect to your directory on the ceweb.uml.edu FTP server
- Click on "Always Accept" on the Certification Information
- You should see your directory on the ceweb.uml.edu FTP server on the right side of the interface.
Follow the steps below to upload or download files to the web.
Uploading files using Core FTP Lite:
- Start the Core FTP Lite. Click to connect to the server you just configured.
- To upload files to the server, select all files you wish to upload from the window on the left and click the right-arrow button:
Downloading files to your computer:
- To download* files from the server to your computer, select all files you wish to download from the window on the right.
- In the left window, select the location on your computer where you wish to save the files.
- Click the left-arrow button and the files will be downloaded to that location:
*If your instructor requires you to download files from the course directory on the server, make sure to click the folder with the corresponding course number
first to enter this directory before trying to download files.
How do I view the web pages I've uploaded?
Note: Your homepage must be named "index.htm" or "index.html"
- Start your web browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Google Chrome etc.).
- In the URL box enter a web address using this format:
*this is your online course username
If John Doe were taking a class, he would type in:
Can I get help with this if I'm having trouble?
If you have trouble uploading your files, you may
want to speak to your instructor, call (978) 934-2467 or email
Tech Support. Note: You can only have access to student FTP if
your class requires it.