Students must provide the following:
- PC Users: Windows 8 or later, Internet access, email address, up-to-date version of Firefox or Chrome.
- Macintosh Users: OS 10.12 or later, Internet access, email address, up-to-date version of FireFox or Chrome.
- Broadband Internet Connection (DSL, Cable, or FiOS).
- Disable Pop-Up Blockers: Pop-ups must be enabled in order to use certain features of the course.
A microphone and speaker (most computers and laptops come with these preinstalled), or a headset is recommended for use during online chat. Some courses have additional software requirements. Please check our
current course listing
page to find out the software needed for specific course(s).
Prior to attending an online course, students should learn how to log onto
their Internet Service, use their web browser, send and receive email, and
send and receive file attachments.
Software for Online Courses:
Microsoft Office 365
Zoom and other apps are available to all UML students from IT.
For INFO courses:
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching (formerly known as Microsoft Imagine Premium or Microsoft Dreamspark) offers eligible UMass Lowell undergraduate and graduate students and faculty a wide range of Microsoft products at no cost, including Windows operating systems, select Microsoft software (e.g., MS Visio and MS Project), Microsoft server operating systems, applications, and developer tools.
For HTML, Web Development and UNIX online courses:
Mac OS X:
- Core FTP Client Tutorial - CoreFTP Lite Tutorial Using FTPS
- Firezilla Client Tutorial - FileZilla FTPS Tutorial
For Dreamweaver - Dreamweaver FTP Tutorial
Using Secure Telnet (for UNIX accounts)
- Fetch Tutorial - How to Use Fetch